|You will need to show all required gear at check-in and carry ALL equipment below during the entire race (except canoe and the bike itself).
This is an unsupported race -- meaning teams are not allowed to have support crews assist them. Teams will be directed to leave their bikes pre-race at a specified location (instructions handed out at pre-race meeting). Cycling helmets may be left with bikes if securely attached; however all other cycling gear must be carried by the team throughout the race. (See bike info below.)
You will get wet. You will get dirty. All your gear and clothing will get wet and probably muddy. We like wading through swamps and large puddles. Someone always flips their canoe. We are not responsible for ruined books, electronics, or other gear. Please waterproof a change of dry clothes for your own safety and comfort.
Rain or Shine: Weather in Massachusetts is variable this time of year. It might be rainy and muddy. It might be blazing, skin-burning sunshine. It might be bone-chilling cold. It might be hot and humid. It might get dark at the end of the race. Unless conditions are unsafe, the race will go on as planned. Please plan accordingly.
Required Team Equipment
- ONE 4-person Canoe, 2 Paddles, & 4 PFDs (Rentals are included in the registration cost)
- TWO Mountain Bikes (Able to be ridden by ALL team members - Two team members will ride each bike.)
- TWO Cycling Helmets (To be worn by both team members on the same bike)
- TWO Bike Locks (To secure bikes when not riding)
- 10-foot length of rope at least 5mm diameter (does not need to be climbing quality)
- Orienteering Compass (You will be navigating by map & compass. The map will be provided on race day.)
- Water Detoxification Method*
* You will be responsible for your own hydration for the duration of the race. Natural sources of water (e.g lakes, streams) will be on the race course, but you provide your own water detoxification method.
- Waterproofing Method for Map and Passbook
- Wilderness Medical and Survival Kit**
** You choose the contents of this kit. This is part of the perparation and team strategy challenge of the race. To use an item in a medical scenario, you will need to show that you have the item and in some cases use it. Exception: To simulate a medication in your kit, you may label an empty syringe or pill bottle with the name and dose of the medication in marker. These must be pre-labeled before the race begins.
Required Individual Equipment
- Dry Change of Clothes and Rain Gear (waterproofed & kept dry even if you get wet)
- Light Source (with extra batteries)
- Food and Water (ability to carry 1 liter water and food for 8 hours)
- A Sense of Adventure
Optional Team Equipment
- Camping Supplies / Food for camp
- Bike repair kit: spare tubes, patch kit, chain repair tool, set of allen wrenches, tire pump, etc.
- Anything you think a Medical Wilderness Adventure Racer would need
- Electronic Navigational Devices (GPS units, satellite locator devices, pace meters, etc.)
- Communication Devices (cell phone, radio, pager, PDA, walkie-talkie, etc.)
(You may carry a cell phone for emergency use only, but using it may result in disqualification and the cell signal is poor over much of the race course. Also we are not responsible if they get wet.)
- Any Mode of Transportation not authorized by Race Staff
- Any Map other than that provided by Race Staff
Detailed Bike Info
- It needs to be a true mountain bike - not a cross bike, 10-speed, or road bike. Suspension is optional.
- Teams will be directed to leave their bikes pre-race at a specified location (instructions handed out at Check-In). Please bring a lock (and tell your teammates the code/key). We may or may not transport the bikes to another location on the course by truck.
- Cycling helmets may be left with bikes if securely attached; however all other cycling gear must be carried by the team throughout the race.
- We discourage (although do not prohibit) clipless pedals. In part, because then you have extra shoes to carry and more than one person has to ride the bike. We usually ride clipless too, but trust us, we made the course.