Fort Gordon, home of the U.S. Army Signal center, covers 56,000 acres in eastern Georgia. It is located about 8 miles SW of Augusta, GA, however, it will take 30-40 minutes to reach race headquarters from downtown Augusta, so please plan accordingly.
Note to those who have been to our race before: The campsite and race start/finish have moved! New Directions are also in your Racer Packet.
EVERY PERSON IN EVERY VEHICLE MUST HAVE A PICTURE ID TO ENTER THE FORT. THE CAR MUST ALSO HAVE REGISTRATION AND INSURANCE. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Take I-20 East from Atlanta or I-20 West from Columbia.
- Exit #196: I-520 Bobby Jones Expressway Eastbound. Take Exit #3A & Turn Right toward Fort Gordon: Hwy 78 West/Gordon Hwy and drive ~ 3 miles.
- If entering through Gate 1:
- Turn left into Gate 1 (7th Avenue).
- Show PICTURE ID, CURRENT REGISTRATION, and INSURANCE CARD to the security guards and tell them you are with the MedWAR race. You may be pulled to the side to open your hood, trunk, & glove box. Don't worry, it's normal, but you should budget extra time for it.
- Once you get inside the fort, go straight ~3 miles on Chamberlain Road through the main area of the fort.
- Then, from Chamberlain Road:
- Turn left on Fifteenth Street and drive ~1.4 miles.
- Turn right on to 111th Avenue and drive ~0.1 miles.
- Turn right on to Range Road and drive ~6.4 miles where you will see MedWAR signs.
- Do NOT speed inside Fort Gordon. More then one Race Director has gotten a ticket.
- You are NOT allowed to operate a motor vehicle and cell phone at the same time inside Fort Gordon.
- Be aware: It is not unusual to find tanks, soldiers, convoys, etc on the roads. Sometimes they do controlled burning in some training areas. You may hear explosions and shots in areas. It is possible that a road will be blocked for a time, and there may or may not be detours around it.
- If you have been to the race in previous years, they have increased security. You MUST have an ID, registration, and insurance card. Also, they sometimes move the second security checkpoint.
Note to those who have been to our race before: The campsite and race start/finish have moved!
The New Directions are also in your RACER PACKET!